Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Afghan

In April of 2008, I became obsessed with knitting a major project. I didn't know what to attempt as I had never endeavored to knit a big project. Up to this point I had knit a couple scarves, a few hats, and enough washcloths to last for several years. I also wanted this next project to expand and solidify my abilities as a knitter without boring me to tears.

Browsing the Internet for male knitters one day, I came across the blog of a young man in Texas who was knitting a modular afghan. The afghan was from the Learn to Knit Afghans by Barbara Walker. I began reading more about this project and this book. You knit 63 completely different squares which then get joined together as an afghan. The squares are designed to teach different knitting skills and concepts. By the end of the process, you have learned a practiced most of the techniques and stitches you would ever need for almost any project you undertake as a knitter.

I decided that this would be my first major project. It was practical and useful. The squares would be easy to knit and provide a sense of accomplishment every time one was completed. If a pattern square was boring or one that was irritating to knit, it would be over soon and I could move on to another square.

So I ordered the book from Amazon with rush delivery. The following day I had my new knitting bible in hand. The next week I was on a business trip to the Seattle area. I decided I would start the project while on the road.

The first evening I went to a yarn shop and began internally debating about the colors I wanted to use. The book suggests picking 2 light colors and 2 dark colors. Not being very savvy with yarn yet, I stayed away from yarns that I had not seen at my local Michael's store so no Cascade yarn or Southwest Trading Company. I also wanted to keep things on the cheap so I went with Vanna's Choice by Lion Brand. I also picked a nice conservative palette -- White and Beige as my light colors, Navy and Colonial Blue as my dark colors.

That night I jumped into the first square.

Fast forward to today. I am on square 48 of the 63 squares. Most of the squares have been pretty easy. I think my biggest challenge will come when it is time to bind them all together. Should I crochet a border then join or just join? I'll let you know what I come up with.

You can see the squares I have already completed here. You will also find a couple pictures of a Pet Snuggle that I knit for our cat, Gregory. As I complete more squares, I'll post and blog about them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed with your LTKA project... I love those kinda things. You've inspired me to get the book and do it now. I'm bored sick of the scarf I'm working on, so I'd like to do little quick projects like the squares, and get a feel for different stuff.

-Ames